And that’s when the girls stumble across a copy of The Art of War. With just one glance, they're sure they can use the book to lure Jason back into Lainey’s arms. So Lainey channels her inner warlord, recruiting spies to gather intel and persuading her coworker Micah to pose as her new boyfriend to make Jason jealous. After a few "dates", it looks like her plan is going to work! But now her relationship with Micah is starting to feel like more than just a game.
What's a girl to do when what she wants is totally different from what she needs? How do you figure out the person you're meant to be with, if you're still figuring out the person you're meant to be?
Here are my top ten reasons you might want to check out The Art of Lainey:
10. It might help you understand The Art of War (or make you want to read it, if you haven't read it yet.) Note: once you read The Art of War, you will start applying it to everything.
9. The character of Trinity. That is my favorite name out of ALL the names, so you can bet she's made of win. Also, Trinity's cat shoes, which I own :)
8. Sporty girls! Warning: this book might make you want to kick around a soccer ball or go for a run.
7. Ms. Creant's House of Torture (and Pancakes.) I think that name speaks for itself.
6. Book-boy Micah is a punk-rock baker with a tattoos and a mohawk. So basically, imagine if Peeta were actually hot. Heheheh I am so #TeamGale! :D #SorryNotSorry
5. The strong female friendship between Lainey and Bianca.
4. Lainey's wonderfully wacky parents who are present throughout and do parental things like talk about birth control and give their daughter a curfew.
3. Laugh out loud moments. When you mix a preppy jock with a rocker boy and fold in a cast full of coffee shop misfits, hilarity is bound to ensue.
2. Girl power. This is not the story of Lainey picking a boyfriend. This is the story of Lainey picking a Lainey. There might be two boys, but this is not a love triangle book.
1. Character development. Yes, Lainey is flawed and yes, trying to scheme warlord-style to win back your boyfriend is probably a bad plan. But sometimes you have to do the wrong thing before you can even figure out what the right thing is.
0. Bonus! Once you're finished reading LAINEY, you'll want to read the 100-page, Micah-flavored prequel novella called INFINITE REPEAT and the totally free and so adorable you might spontaneously explode into glitter short story/epilogue NEW MUSIC. [Note: that should be a direct link to New Music so you can read it without a Wattpad account, but remember, it's like an extended epilogue, so reading it will spoil parts of the novel.]
“Refreshingly honest, sweet and romantic. The love story is everything readers want—perfect for fans of Stephanie Perkins, but with an edge.” --Romantic Times Book Reviews
"Stokes does a good job with the sports subplots as well as the familial relationships. Lainey is a driven athlete who focuses on her passion, which is a refreshing change of pace." --School Library Journal
“A mesmerizing journey of discovery, navigating that slippery line between what one wants and what one really needs. Romance, wit, and highly relatable characters join forces to create one addictive story.” --Rachel Harris, New York Times bestselling author
You can even read the first couple of chapters here if you want a preview.
|The Amazing Jaye Robin Brown drew this doodle in my ARC.|
It's Lainey and Micah at the Arachne's Revenge concert :D
If you like fake-dating, enemies-to-lovers stories, squishy adorableness, soccer, pancakes, coffee shops, best friends, punk-rock boys, and/or ancient military strategy, you will (probably, I mean almost definitely, I mean there is a solid chance) L-O-V-E The Art of Lainey.
Enter below for a chance to win. US winner scores signed paperback. INT winner scores order from Wordery or TBD with signed bookplate mailed separately.
Remember, like Sun Tzu used to say, the only way to win is to recruit all of your friends and frenemies into battle alongside you and go on as many outrageous dates as possible along the way ;)
Good luck, and keep an eye out around the interwebz next week because I'm giving away seven--yes, seven!--lucky copies of Girl Against the Universe :)
Lainey was such an amazingly timely book for me! I'll always be thankful to you for writing it!ReplyDelete
Timely for me too. I'm so glad it found you at the right time and it led to us becoming friends <3Delete
The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You is my rec, congratulations on three years! :D
Thank you! And ah, great choice. I really loved how witty and hilarious that book was. Great contemp read :)Delete
Not entering, but it's amazing that's Lainey's going on three years already. The story is so sweet and funny.ReplyDelete
Goodbye, Rebel Blue by Shelley Coriell
Girl Overboard by Justina Chen
The Evolution of EmilyReplyDelete
by Kate Scott
can't think of anyReplyDelete
I highly recommend Merch Girl by Rebecca Lewis. I read this book years ago but the feels that I felt during that time is still fresh in my mind.ReplyDelete
I really enjoyed The Way to Game the Walk of Shame!! It was super fluffy and romantic!ReplyDelete